It can be confusing to program an overhead garage door keypad. Programming instructions can vary depending on the model of the keypad and model of the garage door opener, so it’s important to know what models you’re working with. Below are programming instructions for a few of the most common overhead keypads and openers sold today:
CHAMBERLAIN / LIFTMASTER / SEARS CRAFTSMAN GARAGE DOOR OPENERS
Programming 971LM and 973LM, 371LM and 373LM Security Plus Transmitters
- Press and release the “smart” button on garage door opener motor unit. The smart indicator light will glow steadily for 30 seconds. The 971LM and 973LM remotes have a corresponding amber or red, square, learn button. The 371LM and 373LM have a corresponding purple, square, learn button. Learn buttons are located on the motor head near the terminal strip for wire connections.
- Within 30 seconds, press and hold the button on the hand-held remote.
- Release the button when the motor unit light blinks. It has learned the code. If light bulbs are not installed, two clicks will be heard.
LIFTMASTER AND SEARS CRAFTSMAN WIRELESS KEYPADS
976LM, 377LM Security Plus and 66LM Wireless Keyless Entry Systems
- Press and release the “smart” button on the garage door opener motor unit. The smart indicator light will glow steadily for 30 seconds.
- Within 30 seconds, enter a four-digit personal identification number (PIN) of your choice on the keypad. Then press and hold the ENTER button.
- Release the button when the garage door opener motor unit lights blink. It has learned the code. If light bulbs are not installed, two clicks will be heard.
If these instructions don’t help or you can’t find directions for your specific model, call your local garage door experts.